FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: General Manager
Sets up and operates one or more single or multiple spindle horizontal or vertical chucking machines (lathes) to perform series of machining operations such as turning, boring, threading, and facing, on metal work pieces such as castings, forgings and bar stock by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reads blueprint, job order, tooling instructions, or standard charts to determine product specifications, work holding arrangement, cutting speeds, feed rates, and cutting tools to be used.
- Attaches specified chuck or chuck jaws to headstock.
- Moves controls, cams, and stops to set rotation speeds and feed rates and to control tool and work piece movement for specified operations.
- Lifts work piece manually or using hoist, and positions and secures it in chuck.
- Turns hand wheels to position tools in relation to work piece.
- Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against tools and work piece.
- Starts machine, and moves controls to adjust positions and movements of tools during machine operation.
- Verifies conformance of turned work pieces to specifications.
- Decides on station and timing of each operation to assure efficient use of tools and time.
- Sets up automatic device to feed work pieces to machine.
- Computes such data as dimensions, rotation speeds, and feed rates.
- In addition, other related duties of similar or lesser classifications as conditions demand.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
No Computer skills needed.
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather);work near moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat (non-weather) and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision.
To apply for this job, please send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org